1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. divorce
  4.  » Changing your name as a result of divorce

In Massachusetts For Over 30 Years


In Massachusetts For Over 30 Years

Changing your name as a result of divorce

On Behalf of | Sep 14, 2020 | divorce |

When someone decides to get a divorce, they have many different issues to focus on, whether they have children and are worried about custody or they struggle with the divorce process in general. Many people decide to change their name after ending their marriage and there are various issues to consider regarding this topic.

In order to change your name, you need to review the steps you will have to take in court. Once your name is successfully changed, you also have to report these changes to various agencies.

Reporting your name change to the Social Security Administration

It is extremely important for people to report a name change after filing for divorce to the Social Security Administration. According to USA.gov, people need to provide the SSA with a number of documents while informing the agency of their new name after getting a divorce. It is very important for people to have their names correctly listed in the SSA’s files and obtain a new card.

Reporting your name change to other agencies

Aside from the SSA, there are other agencies you need to inform of changes to your name, such as the IRS. Those who have a certificate of naturalization from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services need to report their name to the agency, while those who work for the federal government need to inform human resources of these changes.

It is also important for passport owners to update their passports and for people to inform the post office of their new name. Furthermore, people need to update their driver’s license or state-issued identification when they change their name.