1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. divorce
  4.  » Missed child support payments may be contempt of court

In Massachusetts For Over 30 Years


In Massachusetts For Over 30 Years

Missed child support payments may be contempt of court

On Behalf of | Aug 31, 2020 | divorce |

Many parents may rely on receiving their monthly child support. If the noncustodial parent stops making these payments, parents need to understand their options. 

There are a few different things people might try when their ex-spouse fails to pay child support. According to DivorcedMoms.com, parents should speak to their ex-spouse about the missed child support payments. Sometimes the ex-spouse may be unable to afford these payments. In this situation, people might need a new child support order. 

What if parents refuse to pay child support?

Sometimes parents may be able to pay child support but refuse to make these payments. In this situation, some people may want to work with a Massachusetts agency that can help them enforce the child support order. In some situations, though, it may be necessary for parents to take more serious action. 

Should you file contempt of court?

Because a court puts a child support order in place, a parent is in contempt of court if he or she refuses to make these payments. According to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, parents can fill out a complaint of contempt. Once the court processes this paperwork, parents receive a hearing date. 

During the hearing, a judge typically discusses the situation with both parents. This official may also look at financial information from both parents. This can help a judge understand if the current support order is financially feasible. After considering this evidence, the judge usually makes a ruling. If a parent can afford child support payments but does not make them, a judge may find this parent to be in contempt of court. This official may then outline how much child support this parent needs to pay and how he or she will make these payments.