Law Offices Of Sheara F. Friend

Call us for a consultation
To our clients and colleagues:
We want to assure you that our firm remains open and fully operational during this time, while implementing safety measures related to COVID19. Our attorneys and staff are working remotely with full access to the tools necessary to continue working and serving our clients, and we are monitoring the evolving changes put into effect by the courts. We remain fully accessible by telephone and email and have added video conferencing capability.
The health and safety of our staff, attorneys, clients, and the community at large are of the utmost importance to us. We are closely watching all updates from the CDC, the WHO, the White House, and Massachusetts government and health agencies to ensure we are taking every measure to do our part in preventing the spread of COVID19. This is a rapidly changing situation and we will provide updates on any steps we need to take in response to emerging circumstances.
Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any questions or concerns, and please take all precautions to keep yourselves healthy.
What to do if a parent does not follow a custody or support order
What to do if a parent does not follow a custody or support order
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Firm News
  4.  » What to do if a parent does not follow a custody or support order

When two individuals with a child divorce, then a judge will issue a custody or support order. This order is necessary to resolve the matter of where a child should live, who will be the official caretaker of the child and how often a child should visit a co-parent.

Divorces and separations may be contentious, however, and often one party does not follow the agreement. These tips can help a parent resolve a conflict with minimal expense and worry.

  1. Determine the extent of the problem

For a fair resolution, a parent should get the facts of a situation correct. Common violations of a custody or support order include:

  • One parent refusing to let a child visit the other parent
  • A parent keeping a child in his or her home for longer than the allocated time
  • One parent exposing a child to dangerous situations

Parents who understand the scope of their problem might be able to resolve it efficiently. Instead of resorting to a drastic measure or breaking an order for retaliation, a straightforward conversation might be enough to cool the fire.

  1. Call the police

A parent has a right to contact the police about a situation. A police officer should see a copy of a custody order before taking action. If an issue occurs repeatedly, then the violating party may have to appear in court. He or she may lose custody of the child or spend time in jail.

  1. Modify a child custody or support order

It is possible to file a petition with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts requesting changes to a child custody or support order. Parents should prepare to explain why they want to make changes and a response from the other party before a hearing date. During a hearing, a judge decides whether or not to modify an order based on the best interest of the child.

Child custody or support orders are necessary for a child until he or she is 18 years old.