Call us for a consultation

When your ex refuses to pay alimony

The divorce is finally over. The Massachusetts family law judge has issued the final decree, and you and your former spouse are free to go your separate ways. The only problem is, your ex is not sending you the alimony payment the judge ordered. What can you do?

At the Law Offices Of Sheara F. Friend, we understand that not receiving this income can create serious financial issues. However, the truth is, you cannot force your ex to send you the check. Fortunately, the judge has the authority to compel your former spouse to comply with the divorce judgment. All you have to do is file a Complaint for Contempt form with the court, MassLegalHelp explains.

After you file the complaint, you will receive a Contempt Summons, which is an official court order informing your ex-spouse that he or she must attend court at the specified time. You do not deliver the summons. Instead, you take it to a deputy sheriff or constable, who will serve the papers, get a signature as proof that your ex received them and then return them to you. You then return the papers to the court clerk.

You and your former spouse will get a chance to explain your case to the judge at the hearing. Your ex will probably be required to fill out a financial statement documenting all income and expenses, and you may need to do this as well. If the judge finds your former spouse in contempt of court, he or she may have to spend some time in jail for violating the court order. 

Other violations of a court order, such as failing to follow the parenting schedule or pay child support, may also warrant a contempt complaint. For more information, please visit our webpage.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email us for a response

Have A Legal Question?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Law Offices Of Sheara F. Friend
676 Elm Street
Suite 400
Concord, MA 01742

Phone: 978-464-1071
Fax: 978-464-9002
Concord Law Office Map

Review Us